Sunday, May 06, 2007

Children of Hurin. J.R.R. Tolkien



Yes, I know that it's a marketing ploy. Yes, I know that Turin's story is in The Simarillion. But the book's lovely and there's an inviting quality in having this story in its own book and how can you say no to Alan Lee's fantasy art? So today I splashed out and bought it.

A big 'hello' to postpunkpete whose just got his blog going. Starting out with a post on the Fall has to be a good move. My music this week's Joanna Newson's The Milk-eyed Mender, John Coltrane's Expression and Black Box Recorder's Passionoia. Listening to Newson (I own Yves) and The Shins somewhat convoluted Wincing the Night Away has me wondering if there's a new taste for long, incomprehensible lyrics that you can't possibly follow--not that this is 'bad thing' but both Newson and The Shins require investment and concentration rather than a quick listen on the i-pod whilst you're in the check-out line.

No comments: